Debating our options when it came to excavating wet soil off of our build site, which was mostly filled with expansive clay
I went for a trail run on a beautiful June day at the one year mark – almost exactly a year from purchasing our property. The trail I accessed was only a little ways down the road from the property, so I parked in our driveway and started my run from there. It gave me a chance to reflect on the past year.
Nagging subsurface water issues delay our excavation as we wait for the clay soils to dry enough for us to continue our dig.
Finally getting to groundbreaking on our site, including some issues with expansive clay soil and scraping topsoil once our test pit looked good.
The impact of a dramatically higher excavation bid for winter work, which firmly set us on the “build in the spring” schedule
A debate about timing groundbreaking; do we go early and fight with the frost and snow or wait until spring and fight with the water